Life Story Work with Children and Young People Training Course (Level 3)
Many children and young people who are looked after in care will have many questions about their life including questions about their family, what happened to them, why they came into care and where their family is now. Some questions are difficult to deal with and it takes skill, knowledge and the right personality to be able to help children learn about their own lives.
This training course identifies the meaning of life story book work and considers all of the preparation which needs to take place in advance, including finding the right person to support the right child and how to build on resources for use in life story book work.
The course considers the difficult story which young people may need to lean about, such as abuse, neglect and violence, and considers how to approach this in a way which suits the child’s understanding, age and stage of development. This course also looks at different ideas of ways to design and structure a life story book, what can be included and how to keep it active and ongoing. This is a Level 3 accredited course.
- Understand what life story work is
- Understand the importance of families in life story work
- Understand how loss and separation effects young people
- Understand the role of the supporter in life story work
- Understand the importance of planning to complete life story work
- Understand ways to approach difficult story
- Understand ways of completing life story work
- Describe the meaning of life story work
- Analyse how life story work can support looked after children
- Evaluate the connection between young people. families, loyalty and identity in life story work
- Describe how young people may experience feelings of loss and separation
- Explain ways of supporting children to talk about and express their feelings
- Describe the role of the supporter when taking part in life story work
- Define possible barriers to starting life story work.
- Evaluate how supporters have to prepare themselves for taking part in life story work
- Determine the required skills, support and resources required for taking part in life story work
- Describe the different ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’ of life story work
- Define different possible sources of information
- Explain ways to prepare young people to take part in life story work
- Describe the meaning of the term ‘difficult story’ in terms of life story work
- Define types of difficult story which may form part of life history work
- Explain ways to approach these with children and young people
- Define professional boundaries in life story work
- Define different tools which can be used in life story work
- Define information which can be included in a life story book
- Design the structure life story books
- Explain the importance of keeping the life story book active and ongoing
The course content are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) Credit4Learning as a Level 3 course.
Each learner completing this course will receive an accredited Level 3 certificate of learning.
Links to QCF Units
This Life Story Work training course is designed to meet the standards outlined in the new Children’s Homes (England) Regulations which were introduced on 1st April 2015 and can contribute to outcomes of QCF units including the National Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
This life story work training course is designed for professionals who work with children and young people and need to develop their skills and knowledge in completing life story work, including support teams, education providers and foster carers.
This Life Story training course is available as in-house training at a venue of your own choice throughout the UK.
Training Course Duration
1 Day (please contact us if you require training which runs to a different timescale).
Get a Price or more information...
Just fill in this quick form and we will email you an all inclusive price, don't worry we will never add you to any marketing lists - promise. If you want more information first thats great - just get in touch
We ask for location and approximate numbers because we include any expenses in the quotes we give so you get one clear price
If you have any questions, want more information or interested in a series of courses please phone us on 01625 520434 or email us
Why Choose Ringway Training? Read some of our clients past comments