Supporting Safe Medication Administration (Level 3)
For many services who provide support to children and young people, the safe administration of medication is a regular part of the role.
This training course focuses on children and young people’s service and highlights the legal and regulatory requirements, safe methods of medication supply, storage and disposal, considers risk factors which may present when working with vulnerable young people including misuse, self-harm and theft of medication, requirements of recording and auditing and confirms legal professional boundaries.
This course is designed for professionals who administer non-intrusive routes of medication (orally and topically (tablet and crèmes). This is a Level 3 accredited course and relates to Unit 23 of the National Diploma (NVQ) in Residential Childcare.
- Understand the legislative framework for the use of medication in social care settings
- Know about common types of medication and their use
- Understand roles and responsibilities in the use of medication in social care settings
- Understand techniques for administering medication
- Be able to receive, store and dispose of medication supplies safely
- Know how to promote the rights of the individual when managing medication
- Be able to support use of medication
- Be able to record and report on use of medication
- Identify legislation that governs the use of medication in social care settings
- Outline the legal classification system for medication
- Explain how and why policies and procedures or agreed ways of working must reflect and incorporate legislative requirements
- Identify common types of medication
- List conditions for which each type of medication may be prescribed
- Describe changes to an individual’s physical or mental well-being that may indicate an adverse reaction to a medication
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of those involved in prescribing, dispensing and supporting use of medication
- Explain where responsibilities lie in relation to use of ‘over the counter’ remedies and supplements
- Describe the routes by which medication can be administered
- Describe different forms in which medication may be presented
- Describe materials and equipment that can assist in administering medication
- Explain the importance of the following principles in the use of medication, consent, self-medication or active, participation, dignity and privacy and confidentiality
- Explain how risk assessment can be used to promote an individual’s independence in managing medication
- Describe how ethical issues that may arise over the use of medication can be addressed
- Demonstrate how to support an individual to use medication in ways that promote hygiene, safety, dignity and active participation
- Demonstrate strategies to ensure that medication is used or administered correctly
- Demonstrate how to address any practical difficulties that may arise when medication is used
- Demonstrate how and when to access further information or support about the use of medication
- Demonstrate how to record use of medication and any changes in an individual associated with it
The course content are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) Credit4Learning as a Level 3 course.
Each learner completing this course will receive an accredited Level 3 certificate of learning.
Links to QCF Units
This medication administration training course is designed to meet the standards outlined in the new Children’s Homes (England) Regulations which were introduced on 1st April 2015 and can contribute to outcomes of QCF units including the National Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
This Medication Administration training course is designed for professionals working with children and young people including support teams, education professionals and foster carers.
This Medication Administration training course is available as in-house training at a venue of your own choice throughout the UK.
Training Course Duration
1 Day (please contact us if you require training which runs to a different timescale).
Get a Price or more information...
Just fill in this quick form and we will email you an all inclusive price, don't worry we will never add you to any marketing lists - promise. If you want more information first thats great - just get in touch
We ask for location and approximate numbers because we include any expenses in the quotes we give so you get one clear price
If you have any questions, want more information or interested in a series of courses please phone us on 01625 520434 or email us
Why Choose Ringway Training? Read some of our clients past comments