Working with Challenging Behaviour Training Course (Level 3)
Working with vulnerable children and young people is a rewarding profession, especially when we see young people succeed and achieve. For many reasons however, many children can present different types of challenging behaviours which we need to be able to respond to and manage. This training course considers what challenging behaviour is and how we, as individuals, react to different types of behaviours in different ways and how we all have our own professional limitations.
This training course considers the experiences which may have influenced challenging behaviour and focuses on the positive experiences which we can provide for young people in building resilience and managing their own reactions to challenging situations. This training course identifies the legislation and regulations around challenging behaviours and physical interventions, identifies de-escalation strategies and explores methods of positive behaviour management planning. This is a Level 3 accredited course.
This course is a theoretical course of non-intervention techniques and theories and does not include any practical physical intervention techniques.
- Understand what challenging behaviour is
- Understand our own reactions to challenging behaviour
- Understand challenging and positive influences of behaviour
- Understand legislation and regulations relating to challenging behaviour
- Understand requirements of behaviour management planning
- Understand models of positive behaviour plans
- Explain the meaning of the term Challenging Behaviour
- Describe and compare different types of challenging behaviour
- Explain and evaluate the different ways which supporters can react to challenging behaviour
- Explain different 'risky behaviours' which can increase challenging situations
- Describe the importance of recognising our own professional limitations when managing challenging behaviour
- Explain and compare the difference between primary interventions and secondary interventions
- Explain different challenging experiences of vulnerable children and young people which can influence behaviour
- Explain how experiencing loss can be expressed through behaviour reactions
- Describe the meaning of the term and give examples of ‘behaviour triggers’
- Explain the meaning of the term ‘behaviour message values’
- Explain and evaluate how positive experiences can support a change into positive behaviour including social, domestic, economical, educational, psychological and environmental experiences
- Explain principles of behaviour management identified in the Children’s Homes Regulations (2015)
- Describe the meaning of the term physical interventions
- Explain and compare the difference between holding, physical contact, physical presence and restraint
- Explain the purpose and contents of a behaviour management plan
- Explain and analyse the Canter Model of behaviour management planning
- Explain and evaluate the use of Traffic Light Behaviour Plans and ABC charts in managing challenging behaviour
- Describe and compare different de-escalation strategies
The course content are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) Credit4Learning as a Level 3 course.
Each learner completing this course will receive an accredited Level 3 certificate of learning.
Links to QCF Units
This Working with Challenging Behaviour training course is designed to meet the standards outlined in the new Children’s Homes (England) Regulations which were introduced on 1st April 2015 and can contribute to outcomes of QCF units including the National Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
This Working with Challenging Behaviour training course is designed for professionals working with children and young people including support teams, education professionals and foster carers.
This Working with Challenging Behaviour training course is available as in-house training at a venue of your own choice throughout the UK.
Training Course Duration
1 Day (please contact us if you require training which runs to a different timescale).
Get a Price or more information...
Just fill in this quick form and we will email you an all inclusive price, don't worry we will never add you to any marketing lists - promise. If you want more information first thats great - just get in touch
We ask for location and approximate numbers because we include any expenses in the quotes we give so you get one clear price
If you have any questions, want more information or interested in a series of courses please phone us on 01625 520434 or email us
Why Choose Ringway Training? Read some of our clients past comments