Planning and Supervising Contact Visits Training Course (Level 3)
Contact is the times when a looked after child is in contact with their birth family, either seeing them in person or by a letter, telephone call or in other ways. Contact can be an enjoyable and fun experience and can be an essential part of building relationships between a child and their family, but it can also be a challenging, emotional and confusing experience.
The training course discusses the different methods of contact and discusses the considerations which professionals working with children may have to take whilst planning for contact, during contact and the possible affects following contact., when a child may have become confused or have new questions about their family.
This training course considers each person involved, including the child, family, professionals and others and provides ideas and advice about how to plan, support and deal with the emotional journey of contact. This is a Level 3 accredited course.
- Understand what 'contact' is
- Understand the importance of contact visits
- Understand legislation and regulations relating to contact visits
- Understand types of contact
- Understand ways to prepare for contact visits
- Understand the impact of contact visits
- Understand ways of supervising contact visits
- Describe the meaning and purpose of contact visits
- Describe the importance of family history and background
- Describe the theory of healthy or secure attachment, ambivalent attachment, avoidant attachment and reactive attachment
- Describe the impact of separation and loss for looked after children and young people
- Explain the connection between attachment, separation, loyalty and identity
- Analyse the requirements of the Children Act 1989 in the provision of contact visits
- Describe the requirements of providing contact as identified in the Children's Homes Regulations (2015)
- Describe the requirements of providing contact as identified by the Fostering Services National Minimum Standards 2011 (Standard 9 - Promoting and Supporting Contact)
- Describe the requirements of providing contact as identified by the Fostering Services Regulations 2011 (Regulation 14 - Duty to Promote Contact)
- Explain and evaluate the benefits and risks of informal contact, formal contact and supervised contact
- Describe considerations to be made before contact visits, during contact visits and after contact visits
- Explain and evaluate the emotional impact which contact can have on children and young people, family members and professionals/supporters
- Explain the role of the contact visit supervisor
- Define the meaning of the term 'capacity to change'
- Describe the four key areas of consideration when assessing capacity to change
- Define professional limitations for supervising contact visits
The course content are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) Credit4Learning as a Level 3 course.
Each learner completing this course will receive an accredited Level 3 certificate of learning.
Links to QCF Units
This Planning and Supervising Contact Visits training course is designed to meet the standards outlined in the new Children’s Homes (England) Regulations which were introduced on 1st April 2015 and can contribute to outcomes of QCF units including the National Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
This Planning and Supervising Contact Visits training course is designed for professionals working with children and young people including support teams, education professionals and foster carers.
This Planning and Supervising Contact Visits training course is available as in-house training at a venue of your own choice throughout the UK.
Training Course Duration
1 Day (please contact us if you require training which runs to a different timescale).
Get a Price or more information...
Just fill in this quick form and we will email you an all inclusive price, don't worry we will never add you to any marketing lists - promise. If you want more information first thats great - just get in touch
We ask for location and approximate numbers because we include any expenses in the quotes we give so you get one clear price
If you have any questions, want more information or interested in a series of courses please phone us on 01625 520434 or email us
Why Choose Ringway Training? Read some of our clients past comments