Safer Recruitment and Selection in Children and Young People's Services Training Course (Level 3)
Safer and well-planned recruitment and selection is an essential part of working with children and young people and is an important part of safeguarding. A key objective of safer recruitment is to prevent people who aim to abuse children and young people to access services, whilst finding the best and most suitable people for the role.
This training course explains the importance of safer recruitment and selection, considering each stage of the process and identifying best practice approaches and ways to ensure safeguards are in place. This training course describes how and why to include children and young people in the recruitment process and safeguards required to do this.
This training course identifies relevant legislation and regulations and confirms how care must be taken in planning interview questions and techniques to ensure a fair and non-discriminatory approach. This training course also considers the safeguards and best practice requirements post-employment including induction, probation and training needs. This is a Level 3 accredited course.
- Understand the importance of safer recruitment and selection in children and young people’s services
- Understand principles of UK employment legislation and sector regulations
- Understand requirements of application packs, application forms, job descriptions and person specifications
- Understand safeguarding requirements throughout recruitment, selection and probation
- Understand planning requirements including involving children and young people in the recruitment process
- Understand best practice approaches throughout the recruitment and selection process (including interviewing)
- Understand safeguarding and best practice requirements for post-employment
- Explain the importance of consistent safeguarding ‘messages’ and safeguarding statements throughout the entire recruitment, selection and probation process
- Define safeguards required to protect children and young people from potential perpetrators or abusers from gaining access to services through employment
- Describe why and how good planning is so important in safer recruitment and selection
- Explain safe ways to include children and young people as part of the safer recruitment process
- Define why safer recruitment and selection is essential when recruiting within the children and young people’s sector
- Describe the purpose and contents of; Job Descriptions, Person Specifications, Application Forms and Application Packs
- Identify the requirements of a good interview panel
- Identify key legislation in relation to UK employment laws
- Confirm the checks (and processes) which must be carried out to confirm a person has the right to work in the UK
- Define how Data Protection and GDPR (2018) relates to recruitment and selection
- Confirm regulations which form part of the Children’s Homes Regulations (2015) which apply to safer recruitment and selection
- Confirm good practice approaches in relation to avoiding and identifying discriminatory practices including the nine protected characteristics as identified in the Equality Act (2010)
- Define different potential interview questions to use and questions to avoid (including those bound by legislation)
- Describe how to use the S.T.A.R approach to address competency-based questions
- Define how to use a scoring system as part of the recruitment process
- Explain how and why shortlisting must be mapped (link) to clear job description and person specification
- Confirm the process required in the collection of references
- Confirm the meaning and purpose of a ‘Conditional Offer of Appointment’
- Describe best practice approaches and safeguards required post-employment including; continued vigilance, maintaining safe cultures, induction, probation and training
- Identify situations where conduct and performance issues may lead to dismissal and how this links back to the initial recruitment and selection planning, decisions made and evidencing
The course content are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) Credit4Learning as a Level 3 course.
Each learner completing this course will receive an accredited Level 3 certificate of learning.
Links to QCF Units
This Recruitment and Selection in Social Care training course is designed to meet the standards outlined in the new Children’s Homes (England) Regulations which were introduced on 1st April 2015 and can contribute to outcomes of QCF units including the National Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
This Recruitment and Selection training course is designed for professionals who work in the children and young people services and has (or aims to have as part of career development) responsibility for safer recruitment and selection of staff.
This Safer Recruitment and Selection training course is available as in-house training at a venue of your own choice throughout the UK.
Training Course Duration
1 Day (please contact us if you require training which runs to a different timescale).
Get a Price or more information...
Just fill in this quick form and we will email you an all inclusive price, don't worry we will never add you to any marketing lists - promise. If you want more information first thats great - just get in touch
We ask for location and approximate numbers because we include any expenses in the quotes we give so you get one clear price
If you have any questions, want more information or interested in a series of courses please phone us on 01625 520434 or email us
Why Choose Ringway Training? Read some of our clients past comments